Friends of the Library
The mission of the Scarborough Society is to provide new sources of supplemental funding for the Shepherd University library system through an annual membership society dedicated to enhancing its collections, programs, and technologies.
The Scarborough Society of Shepherd University was founded in 2002 to endow and strengthen the Shepherd University library system. Inspired by the Scarborough Library’s magnificent addition and restoration that same year, the friends-of-the-library annual membership organization was and continues to be sponsored by the Shepherd University Foundation.
The annual Scarborough Gala is the Society’s major social and fundraising event. Gala proceeds provide funds to support and enhance library collections, programs, and technology. Additionally, the group sponsors a yearly art and lecture series that features local authors and artists. A partnership with the Shepherdstown Film Society has provided opportunities to bring unique and enjoyable film experiences to the community.
The Scarborough Society displays the names of its members on a special Wall of Honor in the library’s Reading Room. Consider joining today!
How Gifts Are Used
Annual membership gifts and proceeds from the annual Scarborough Gala provide the funds to:
- Support and enhance the library’s collections
- Update and expand technological capabilities
- Support programs for staff and students
- Partner with the Shepherdstown Film Society in providing free films and film discussions for Shepherd students, faculty, and the wider University community
- Create endowments to offer future funding for the library
- Honor special requests for initiatives that enhance student and community learning