Scarborough Society celebrates outgoing leadership; welcomes new president and board members
On Thursday, October 27, the Scarborough Society honored the retirement of outgoing Board President Ray Alvarez ’62 at its annual meeting. Ray was integral in the creation of the Society in spring of 2002 and has served as president for the past twenty years.
Some of the Scarborough Society’s contributions to the library under Ray’s leadership are as follows:
- An annual gala that raises an average of $25,000+ for library support
- The sponsorship of the annual Art and Lecture Series on campus which provides free events highlighting diverse authors and artists
- Funding for the EduTech Center that provides technology and training space for students, faculty, and staff
- Funding for the digitization of library collections
- Funding for new equipment, furniture, and online databases
- Creation of the Community Reading Room
- Creation of new partnerships and sponsorship of initiatives including the Shepherdstown Film Society partnership, the Society for Creative Writing, and the Student Library Advisory Board
Austin Slater ’76 was elected as the new board president during the meeting. Other notable agenda items included the recognition of retirement of board member Lisa Welch, who has served as a director since 2010, and the election of new board members Elise Baach and Jennifer Gerholdt.
The Foundation extends its sincere gratitude and appreciation to Ray for all his years of service and leadership!