The Shepherd University Foundation is accepting applications for an Accounting Specialist. The general function of this role is to perform specialized accounting functions required to maintain financial records and accounts.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes financial transactions within the functions by verifying and posting information to ledger system utilizing established accounting system.
- Maintain custodial accounts for campus departments and organizations.
- Maintain athletic accounts to ensure availability of funds (works closely with coaches and athletic department staff).
- Resolve discrepancies within accounts by contacting appropriate personnel to obtain and clarify information.
- Prepare various correspondence and accounting reports.
- Collect and count monies, prepare deposit slips, make deposits and disbursements.
- Verifies credit card charges through the use of Raiser’s Edge Online Express and GiveCampus.
- Processes and codes deposits for Raiser’s Edge gift entry.
- Assist with the annual Shepherd University Foundation and Shepherd University Foundation Supporting Organization audit.
- Prepares and coordinates gift acknowledgements.
- Provides back up for database gift entry.
- Run weekly cash disbursement reports from the accounting software and send the reports to president of the board and Executive Vice President of the Foundation.
- Works closely with Comptroller to prepare and submit various fundraising reports.
- Tracks gift pledges and generates donor reminders.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of basic bookkeeping, generally accepted accounting principles and theories and their application to accounting problems.
- Knowledge of automated accounting software systems.
- Strong mathematical skills necessary to perform financial calculations.
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment as well as independently with self-direction.
- Ability to organize information, perform financial calculations and prepare fund activities reports.
- Ability to interact well with board members, college personnel, students and donors.
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally by telephone, email and in-person.
- Advanced ability to utilize business office software (Microsoft office, outlook, excel spreadsheet)
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years accounting experiences
- Experiences in a non-profit environment preferred
Applications and Inquiries
Please submit your applications, including a resume AND cover letter, via email to BreAnne Rugh, [email protected]. For fullest considerations, candidates should submit both a resume and cover letter by April 28th, 2023.